Mike Tartal is a Safety and Health Consultant with the USF SafetyFlorida Consultation Program. As an officer in the United States Navy, Mike managed shipboard OSHA programs, the operation and maintenance of shipboard communications, electronic systems, and damage control equipment. He trained ship’s personnel in nuclear, biological and chemical warfare defense, fire fighting, and damage control procedures. Mike also served as a Navigator, a Navy Surface Warfare Instructor, and served two tours as an Operation's Officer on Amphibious Assault ships. His last assignment was working for Commander, Naval Surface Forces Pacific, as the Human Resource Manager. During his career, Mike earned three Navy Achievement Medals and two Navy Commendation Medals for outstanding performance of duty.
In the 15 years after his Navy career, Mike worked in the printing industry where his management and technical experience gave him first-hand knowledge of how important it is to bring management and employees together in a commitment to safety. Mike worked with other company managers to improve plant safety and reduce the employer’s workers’ compensation insurance costs by developing and implementing updated safety programs, performing weekly safety inspections, improving machine guarding, and raising housekeeping standards. These initiatives significantly reduced company workers compensation insurance costs and lowered the injury rate (TRC and DART).
Based on his Navy and private industry experience and since joining USF SafetyFlorida as a consultant in 2009, Mike brings to his safety consultations across Florida’s Panhandle a deep understanding of safety as a way of managing people, operations and resources. He is an advocate of using strong communications and organizational skills to improve operations, customer service, quality and safety.
Mike’s OSHA-based training includes:
- Applied Welding Principles
- Consultation Systems Assessment Training
- Consultation Systems Assessment Training - Train the Trainer
- Crane Tech Mobile Crane Inspector
- Crane Tech Overhead Crane & Hoist Inspector
- Crane Tech Rigging Gear & Sling Inspector
- Electrical Standards
- Fall Arrest Systems
- Fire Protection and Life Safety
- Hazardous Materials
- Introduction to Accident Investigation
- Machinery and Machine Guarding
- Maritime Train the Trainer
- Occupational Safety and Health Standards for the Construction Industry
- OSHA Guide to Industrial Hygiene
- Permit Required Confined Space Entry
- Respiratory Protection
- Steel Erection
- Trainer Course in Occupational Safety and Health Standards for General Industry
- Trainer Course in Occupational Safety and Health Standards for the Construction Industry
- University of Florida ANSI/AIHA Z10-2005 Occupational Safety & Health Management Systems
Mike is an authorized OSHA outreach trainer for the General industry, Construction industry and Maritime industry 10 hour and 30 hour classes.
Mike has been a safety speaker at events sponsored by, the Florida Beer Wholesalers Association, the State of Florida, Division of Workers’’ Compensation, and the Building Industry Association of Walton - Okaloosa Counties.